Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Scabies

Well, I have to say this will probably be the bravest post I ever write about myself. I know people are going to try to judge me and think very different of me after reading this post. I have done my research, read through, and think twice.

About a week and a half ago I had a weird spot appear on my hip. Slowly over time it got bigger and more spots appeared. I had a preplanned appointment with a health clinic and they assumed it was ringworm. Which happens, I live with two dogs and just got back from visiting family who had several dogs. So they give me some cream and send me on my way. Well, it didn't get better, it got much worse. I was getting pretty freaked out because this rash in that short time has nearly covered my entire body with the exception of my hands, feet, and head. So I finally decided screw it, I am going to see a real doctor. The health clinic as far as I can tell is only run by nurses. So I go to the ER in Urbana, and wait forever of course. Finally the doctor comes in, looks at me, and gives me the ' you are gonna die' poker face and tells me I have SCABIES. I know the look on my face was priceless. I was extremely shocked. EXTREMELY. From what I thought I knew of scabies it was something only gross people got and it was bugs crawling in and on your skin! I was completely freaked out. The good news is that it is easily treated for people. I just have to wash every piece of fabric in my house with extremely hot water, and if possible iron it too. After coming home, I decided some research is in order. A doctor knows how to diagnose and treat it, and I want more info so I can prevent and make sure it stays gone! Here is what I have found.

My scabies was actually contracted from a dog with mange. Garth is my male chihuahua and has a very mild form of mange. I honestly didn't know he had it at all. Near his hind quarters he has a lot of areas with very dry, white and flaky skin. I assumed he had dry doggy dandruff and needed something in his food to add moisture to his coat. Turns out that his skin condition is a very mild form of dog mange, probably in earlier stages. My boyfriend doesn't care for Garth too much and never pets him, and I do, often. Also it is very likely I went and petted him and then scratched some where along my waist line where I have mild acne. Which is how the bug would have been transmitted. They are smaller then head lice, but are visible to the human eye. They are a type of skin mite.
Now when one person has it, it can be transmitted sexually and be considered a STD. It can also be transmitted through personal contact, sleeping together, and sharing infected materials. Now as long as I shower every day and use the prescribed cream I won't be contagious because I will be washing away the insects and preventing the continuation of the spreading.
Basically a female mite lays eggs on a host(AKA you, me, the dog) and when these babies hatch they crawl over and burrow in your skin. The good thing I have noticed is this is actually a painless process. The rash you get is actually a allergic reaction to the mite, its eggs, and its feces.
This is something that can happen to anyone. It is not a condition based on hygiene habits. It is all about exposure. Which means if you visit a friend who has a large family under one roof, a child in school, pet a stray or neighborhood animal, or go to a dog pound you risk getting this little bug. It happens.


http://herpes-coldsores.com/std/scabies.htm
http://www.scabies-information.com/

No comments: