Saturday, November 01, 2014

Starting Basics of Couponing

I used to be a big couponer, I did it for a while and built a amazing stock pile. Now that I have been out of the game a while, and our stock pile is beginning to dwindle, I am highly considering restarting. With couponing it is the same principle that applies to nearly everything in life, the more work you put into the greater the reward. My trips were never the 'extreme' kind where I got huge amounts for pennies, but on average I would save 50 to 75 percent on my trips. So if you like the sound of spending 25 to 50 dollars instead of $100, then couponing may be for you! Normally I am a bit of a cheater and I use several websites to do my weekly match ups for me, so all I have to do it pick and chose the items I want to buy, pull out my coupons and head out the door! But let first start with where to find coupons.

The primary source for coupons is going to be your Sunday Newspaper. Fairly simple, around here they range from $1.50 to $2.00 per paper. Some times if you have a Dollar Tree in your area they sell the paper for only a buck! I ideally recommend buying two papers every Sunday to start. This will get you two of each coupon. To be fully honest you really have to do this for about a month until they start matching up with sale items. So for about four weeks, you will buy these papers. If you are lucky sometimes you can dumpster dive at the local newspaper office and get these coupon inserts free!

The next source is printable coupons. There are a variety of sites out there that you can print from. here are the following ones I use:
www.smartsource.com
www.redplum.com
www.coupons.com
There may be more out there, but these are my primary sources. These allow you to print 3 of each coupon from one computer. Printer doesn't matter, you just use a different computer and you can print 3 more. Also they DO NOT have to be in color! Print in black and white and save some money there.

Your final source is more random. You can find them as little tags on bottles, on boxes, in boxes with products, or at those little sample tables at stores. Random coupons companies give out to entice you to buy something new NOW.

My advice as your first step into your coupon adventure is just start buy using coupons on things you buy everyday. If you are wondering if a coupon exists for an item you want to buy you can find out here on the Coupon Data Base. You can search and it will tell you where to find it if there is one.

Everyone wants to coupon to save money, but to get started it is a small investment, in time and money. My first few coupon trips were not huge or thrilling, but the longer I did it the more I saved. I easily made up any extra money I spend that first month by month three. This is something that can take up as little or as much of your time as you please. There are MANY groups and websites that can help guide you and point you in the right direction. Google and Youtube are your friends!!


No comments: