Friday, December 27, 2013

The Mom I used to have

The Mother I Used to Have

When I was growing up it was just me, my brother and my mom. She was the strongest person I knew. My mother worked so hard, even working 2 or 3 jobs to support us. She had a beautiful home built out in the country for us, were we lived half my childhood. She was the kind of woman who could do everything! I mean it too. She could grow anything, from seed! Bring her a dead plant and she could bring it back to life. Given any challenge her green thumb could master it. She could raise animals. We had chickens that acted like puppies, because they loved her so much. The most hyper dog would sit at her feet and patiently to be petted. She could raise wild animals, as though they were regular house cats. Everyday, my mom never stopped amazing me. Not only could she do those things, she could sew, knit, cross-stitch, paint, and draft. My Mother could make anything. She designed and built her own furniture from wood, using every saw needed with precision and skill. Even building her own front deck to her home. She made her own crafts and sold them at craft shows. She could paint anything and did face painting too. She knew how to mix the colors just right to get the perfect blend and each stroke in just the right place. She mended my clothes and even made the most beautiful dress for me from scratch. Things didn't stop there. She could cook and bake as good as Martha Stewart and Rachel Ray. She would have shown those ladies up any day! She would use produce straight from the garden, baking and cooking from scratching, making meals that blew you away. As a kid did I always appreciate this, nope, because I thought all Mothers cooked and cleaned like a pro. 

There is so much more, there is always more. All the times she pushed me to do better and all the times she made sure I had everything I ever needed, plus more. I could go on and on about the Mother I used to have.
She was wonderful, she was great. I miss her. She isn't dead, but she is gone. Changed, for the worse. Everything she used to be I take with me, and work hard to be a amazing mom. There is a place in my heart that hopes someday, maybe she will come back again. 

No comments: