Thursday, July 05, 2012

Decoupage

My newest artistic interest is in Decoupage. In some sense, it really isn't a new hobby, but a expansion of my knowledge and ability. Decoupage is essentially is gluing or pasting paper to another object or surface, which is something I do and have done on several projects. Just now with some very helpful YouTube tutorials, I have started expanding my skills. You can basically do this craft on any surface you can glue paper to. Through a google image search of Decoupage I found the images included in this blog, and I think they show the variety of projects you can do with this craft.

I think these shoes are super cool, and I would love to do a project like this myself, but have a theme and possibly paint them as well.

This plate above shows just adhering a simple image can make a awesome piece of art. This would be great for a guys room or around Halloween time. It was done well too, because you cannot even tell it was glue on.

The box above is my inspiration for a lot of old shoe boxes I have around the house. I like to use old shoe boxes to organize my craft supplies, bathroom stuff, and other small odds and ends. Why go out and buy some what pretty boxes at WalMart for $2-8 each, or go to a craft store and get them for $10-20 each?? They are so easy to make, and also make great gift boxes.

The table here is another neat concept. The current project I am working on is similar to this because it is a fully covered project. These can be very time consuming. For a surface that is going to get used afterwards, you have to use a secondary sealant normally. They do make Outdoor Mod Podge now, which is meant to stand weather and such, but it is probably easier to use a spray can of clear gloss like I do.

If this is a concept that interests you WalMart carries all the supplies need to get you started. Also, if you are in need of guidance, don't hesitate to ask YouTube. There are so many helpful and experienced crafters out there who just enjoy sharing their knowledge and made many helpful videos!
Instead of posting links to direct videos, I just advise you search 'How to Mod Podge' on YouTube. I hope to be posting some of my projects soon!

PS: According to my spell check 'crafters' is not a word, lol. Don't take a spell check to a craft store then!

No comments: