Monday, July 02, 2012

Power Outage June 2012

Well this blog officially starts
Friday June 29th, 2012.
 I came home from my part time babysitting job around 4pm. Heather, who I babysit for, gave me a ride home so her husband could repair my van. It was hot and only mildly overcast, so I went in and checked on my little doggies. I had just bought wormer for them the night before and went ahead and administered all the babies. Cami had to be wrapped in a towel like a taco so I could administer her medicine. After that I really felt tired since I didn't sleep well the night before, so I went to lay down for a nap. I cranked up my air conditioner and started to lay down to relax. I laid there for a few minutes and just had a weird feeling, and I noticed it had gone nearly pitch black and it was only 4:40pm at this point. Looking out the window in my room I saw the trees thrashing about and decided it was time for me and the puppies to go down to the basement. So I grabbed my blanket and pillow and headed down stairs. After taking a minute to get things arranged downstairs, I went back up for candles and puppies. and shut all of us down stairs. I would say we were sitting down there for five minutes and all hell broke loose. It stormed and while it sormed the fun began for me. Ian, Jeremy's puppy saw the cat food bag and decided he was hungry and started pawing the bag. Plus Toast (the cat) was staring at it like you better feed me! So I poured a big bowl, which Cami, Coco, Ian, and Toast ate like crazy. Then everyone settled down a little bit. Cami cuddled up between my legs under the blanket. Then about ten minute later she started to get up, crawled over one leg (all under the blanket)and gaged a coughed a little. I thought she was going to throw up under there but managed to hold it. Oh no, she started licking my leg a second later. Cami is the kind of dog that doesn't ever lick people. So I flip back the blanket and sure enough she puked down the length of my leg. So as I start to get off the fold up bed and pull off the blanket I hear Coco retching accross the room and throws up a nice big pile her self. Oh and at this point the power has gone completely out and I am cleaning up dog barf by candle light.

Finally, after a solid 30 minutes of horrid storm and a mild 30-45 minute of mild rain it was finally over. I ran out in the driveway and cleared the larger limbs off the driveway. I lit candles all over the place and began my count of hours without power. I met Justin and Chris in the living room with candles lit so they could see to get in.

Saturday June 30th, 2012
Well, this would have been a perfectly okay day. Except I chose this week to get lazy and put off buyinh my bipolar meds until last min. Friday morning I missed a dose, no big deal. Well, WalMart was behind so I couldn't pick up my script at noon like I planned. Then with the storm and no van I for got in the evening. So by Sat morning, I was missing dose number 3, and I woke up sick as a DOG. It was a like the flu while riding the tilt-a-whirl. I wanted to barf and cry. Luckily Walmart in Urbana who had my meds, and no power, had enough generators to be running their pharmacy. Jeremy ran into town and bought my meds and some food. I took a pill, ate and then took another. I slept off most of the sickness it ensued catching my system back up to where it needed to be.  So most of Saturday was spent sleeping. Then we went over to Heathers house to borrow her generator, because they got their power back on in the morning. After that we went to the WalMart in Marysville to stock up on some candles because rumors were we could be without power for a week or more.

Sunday July 1st, 2012
The house was finally starting to get pretty hot, so my solution was for us to do a clean and rearrange of the basement. So I gathered up all the guys and it took us nearly and hour, but we got the basement arranged in a open way with two twin beds and the couch down there so we could all relax. It is extremely cool, almost cold in my basement, and this way we could all sleep there without the heat bothering us. Jeremy, Justin and I spent most of the day chilling down there, and then Chris went to work. Shortly afterwards we left to deliver some stuff a friend of Justins bought and picked up lunch. We thought why not waste some time walked around the mall. Which turned out to be a mistake, since we weren't there 10 minutes and the storming began. It made the power blink in the mall and the shops started closing a little early. We head out to the from door and see nothing but grey and rain. Finally we made a break for the van and got soaked in the process. We got safely home, more branches down and still, no power.

Monday July 2nd, 2012
We sleep in, and around ten am Justin wakes me up and points at a light that was now magically on. Power was back!!!
I ran around the house plugging in fridges, turning on the air conditioners and closing all the windows. Today was the best ever. Then Jeremy, Chris and I went out to a junk yard to get some parts for the van. After we got back we all did out own thing until closer to dark and then as it cooled down outside we all picked up the down branches and twigs everywhere and hauled them around back to be burnt. We separated the burn barrel from the fire ring, so we burnt trash in the barrel with some leaves. Then we burnt the clean wood in the burn ring and roasted marshmellows and hotdogs. Making the end of our two and a half days of no power pretty sweet.

No comments: