Thursday, October 17, 2013

Me, mentally

So everyday I go through a variety of issues, that are only known to me. It can be very hard and trying at times to deal with them, but I do the best I can. I seek out help, and I take medication. I don't want to be depressed and have my emotions out of control. Not everyone is familiar with what I suffer from and what they really mean.

OCD
OCD stands for obsessive-compulsive disorder. According to the Mayo Clinic OCD is 'an anxiety disorder characterized by unreasonable thoughts and fears (obsessions) that lead you to do repetitive behaviors (compulsions). With obsessive-compulsive disorder, you may realize that your obsessions aren't reasonable, and you may try to ignore them or stop them. But that only increases your distress and anxiety. Ultimately, you feel driven to perform compulsive acts in an effort to ease your stressful feeling'
Basically things have to be done a certain way, a certain amount of times, at a certain time, and if you don't do it, you suffer. You become stressed and anxious, and it can even make you feel physically sick. It isn't the same for everyone. One person may have to wash their hands 3 times every time they wash them, where another person may have to always get dressed in a certain order, and if either of these people where to try to change what they do it can cause them distress.
Personally my OCD is very mild. There are things that stress me though, and I realize they can be silly things. I have to have all my bath towels folded and facing a certain way, and if I find them wrong I have to fix them. When I get out of the shower I always dry off in a certain order, just considering doing it a different way makes me feel like I am not dry.

Bipolar Disorder
According to the Mayo Clinic 'Bipolar disorder — sometimes called manic-depressive disorder — is associated with mood swings that range from the lows of depression to the highs of mania. When you become depressed, you may feel sad or hopeless and lose interest or pleasure in most activities. When your mood shifts in the other direction, you may feel euphoric and full of energy. Mood shifts may occur only a few times a year, or as often as several times a day. In some cases, bipolar disorder causes symptoms of depression and mania at the same time.'  
Basically is a condition that messes with your mood. It commonly causes very obvious changes in a persons personality as well. Some people can live with bipolar their entire lives and never really know it, be labeled as a moody person. While others notice the mood swings and the negative effect they can have on their life. 
Personally my bipolar has a severe effect on my life. It causes me to be depressed and no long want to do things I love. I love crafting, of all kinds, and more then once in a depression told Justin I wanted to get rid of all my crafting supplies. Also I can be manic, and usually at the worst time, like 1am. Times when I should be sleeping I feel full of energy and want to spring into action with a project I know there is no way I can complete. Then I also get severely angry, at the drop of a dime. It can be frustrating at times.


Social Anxiety Disorder
According the Mayo Clinic 'social anxiety disorder, also called social phobia, everyday interactions cause irrational anxiety, fear, self-consciousness and embarrassment.'
Basically talking to people, handling common interactions, making phone calls, can cause stress and even trigger anxiety attacks. 
Personally my social anxiety makes it extremely difficult for me to make phone calls, and make contact with strangers in new places. If I have been some where before I usually don't have too much of an issue talking to them, but if it is some where new, I can't even order food. It makes me feel sick to my stomach, and in severe situations it makes me have a panic attack where I feel like I can't breath and my chest hurts. 

I also suffer from general anxiety and depression but they mostly tie in with one or more of the above conditions. Life can be a day to day battle, but I realize I have these issues and I try my best to face them. I want to be the best person possible for myself, my son, and Justin. So it first takes admitting you have a problem and then taking steps to fix that issue. 


No comments: