Saturday, July 19, 2008

My Trip to the ER

Well, the good news is I am not dead!lol. But anyways, I was working a double last night and while I was working I started having this pain in the left side of my chest. It was a stabbing searing kind of pain and it spread up through my shoulders. It bothered me a lot because all I was doing was standing at post, I wasn't doing any physical activity to cause it all. Later on when the pain wasn't so bad, a EMT on swing shift came by and I asked him about the pain and he wanted to send me out right then and there, and I told him I didn't want to go. I have had these pains before. He asked me if my left arm hurt and it didn't. Well, by the time the races were over and my next shift started, my shoulder ached and my left arm was hurting decently, so since I remembered him asking me that, I asked my shifts EMT. After I told him what had happened, we immediately went down to the first aid room. He ran some tests and was really concerned. He put this thing on my finger that watches your beat and it was irregular. So they called an ambulance, the paramedics came in and hooked me up and took some tests. They wanted to take me to the hospital, but all I could think was how much more debt I would be in. So I signed I wavier I didn't want to go. After they left I was having cold sweats and the EMT on my shift Jason insisted that I go get checked out. I had all the same symptoms as a officer before who had a heart attack. So I called Jeremy and he took me up to the Mercy Emergency room. They ran a EKG and the first nurse tried to hook me up with an IV but it hurt so bad she had to take it out. A different nurse came back later and did one in my other arm and it hurt but was fine. They ran some blood work and gave me this stuff in my IV that basically opens up your veins, they give it to people who are possibly suffering from a heart attack. Well, it worked. I felt better, it just felt like some one just smacked me in the chest. They prescribed me some medication to take for the pain, and to see my doctor on Monday. I came back by work and gave then my doctors note and when I spoke to Jason he reminded me to tell my doctor more of my history with this pain. I have been having these pains before, but people always told me it was heartburn or growing pains. So I will find out more when I see my family doctor. It makes me nervous. My mom has all these medical issues and I could be next!!

No comments: