Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Improving Your Memory

Well, it it seems lately my memory has been slipping and I have been repeating myself a lot and stuff. So I decided that I should research the subject on how to improve memory. I found tons of stuff.
First off I found that games can help improve memory. Though the games I usually play, like cards, aren't helping my memory. One site I found suggests:
1) Puzzles 2) Quizzes 3) Try to remember a set of random numbers, alphabets, names etc. 4) Take a number and start continuous addition or multiplication with itself, in your mind only.
Also I found it useful to know what kind of memory there is to use.
Sensory is the first type. Basically when you see, hear, touch something briefly. It can't be improved, because it is only when you see some thing briefly.
Short-Term is the second type. Short term can also include some sensory memories and it is when you are briefly exposed to something up to a minute or two.
Long-Term memory is the final type. This is where you are able to recall things in the past such as old phone numbers and things of the such. Long term memory is stored in a different part of a persons brain. Using repetition you are able to store and recall this information for a life time.
On another note, other information I found was that a lot of our memory retention is based on how much attention we are paying at the time to what we are retaining. Sites suggest repeating things either a loud or in your mind if you find it important to remember them later on. Especially peoples names, try to repeat them in conversation. Then as you set things down such as car keys, you should make a mental note Text Colorof where you put them. Reminding yourself as you do things will help you to recall it later on. If you have problems remembering things during certain times you should think about how many things you are doing at once. Multitasking slows down your retention rate and makes it harder for your mind to recall things it may have just seen or done.
The next few methods I thought were rather interesting. First off talk yourself through it. If you are worried you will leave the stove on or misplace your shoes, then as you do things say them aloud. This might now be the method for you if you have lots of people around, because they might think your a little crazy. Now the next method is picture yourself doing it before doing it. Have you ever gotten up to get something, then get in the next room and have forgotten why you are there?? I know I have done it, and I know my mom has too!! So visualize your self looking or getting that item or thing done before you even get up to do it. Then the final method I suggest is called spread the word. The best way to remember things is repetition, and even if it is just telling some one what you did that day, or mentioning the friends you saw or talked to lately. Just recalling the previous day to another person or teaching someone something you have just learned, is a great way to help your memory.
By far the easiest things to do to help your memory are the following:
1)Get Some Sleep! The brain needs a rest, at least 6 to 8 hours so it can get fully rested and work well.
2) Do Aerobic Exercises. The increased blood flow to the brain helps the brain sharpen and work at it's best.
Well, I feel like I found lots of information that I can use and hopefully my memory will improve. There is a good chance though I may forget to use it!

No comments: